When posting content, Google is going to make the final choice what will be displayed and what won’t be. Even if you put a great deal of effort into optimizing your page if Google feels that it won’t be related to the searcher’s intent it won’t show up. Google is trying to help people to find what they are looking for, user intent is very important in 2018.
Professional Internet Marketers optimize pages differently than used to. Keywords are not as important than before, quality, topic and trust signals of the page is way more important today. You still need to optimize all pages here is how:
- Quality content – offer good quality content that helps people to find answers to their questions. Don’t focus on keyword that much.
- Title – If you want to make your webpage really stand out you need to take the time to add an intriguing title to each page. The branding should be the same throughout the pages. The page title is the first thing that people see. The title can be in a larger font and in a different color as long as it is easy to read.
- Meta Description – Besides the META title Google allows you to write a META description to help optimize your webpages. You can tell the users what your page is about and why they should visit it. The meta description is only a suggestion for Google. If Google does not care about your description you can edit it later. There are some reasons why Google may not be impressed with your meta description. Your meta description does not match up with the search query. If the keywords you used are different from the ones used in the query, Google may prefer the query. Your meta description may sound more like a sales pitch. Do not use an emoji or icons in the description as text is preferred by Google.
- Meta Description Length – Until recently the meta description was around 160 characters. Google is now allowing meta descriptions up to 320 characters long. This will allow you to write an additional line of content about your site. You can read find more information on Joost’s new meta description snippet length to find out how the length will have an impact on SEO and ranking. Longer meta descriptions will often get more attention. They also work better if a user is doing a voice search.
- Slug Optimization – You need to remember that you can edit your slug. This is the part of the URL that is related to the specific post. You can remove clutter and make sure it has a clear focus. You may also be able to add some keywords.
- Site Links – Site links are often found directly below your Titles and Descriptions in the search query. Unfortunately, site owners do not control the suggestions found here. Google can remove links as they see fit.
- Images – all images on the page should be optimized with Titles and ALT tags that are matching the topic on the page. These images have good chances to come up in search results as well.
Using the snippet preview will allow you to edit and to optimize your webpage and the results. There is a free Yoast SEO plugin that can be used to help with this. It is simple to use and will show a snippet for each search result page. It is also compatible with Google and follows their rules and regulations. With this information, it is now to optimize your website and allow more traffic and visitors to come to your page and check out your content.