Google Voice Search is the next best tool for your website. There is more to it than convenience. Voice Search is changing how queries are handled, changing how you get the information you need, and changing attitudes about search engines.
How to Optimize Your Site for Voice Search?
What is Voice Search?
Google Voice Search is an important function which allows you to search the web using your voice instead of typing on a keyboard. Both desktop and mobile search engines can use Voice Search and all you need is a keyword to “wake” Voice Search up so it is attentive and ready to listen to you. Voice commands work in the same way that typed commands do and once you are done, you will be directed to a typical search results page. Along with all of Google’s products, Voice Search has taken off in recent years and continues to grow in popularity. Because of a preference to search this way, it has become necessary for websites to optimize for Voice Search in order to stay on consumers’ radars. With trends showing that Voice Search will only get more popular, it seems as though it may replace typed entries altogether.
The user’s age largely determines what Voice Search is being used for. Adults seem to use it more for directions which makes sense given the hands-free driving laws. Adults and teenagers both use Voice Search to call people but teenagers do this much more frequently. Teens also use it to get help with homework and to request for songs or videos.
Why exactly is Voice Search becoming so popular? On average a person can type 40 minutes per word, but you can speak closer to 150 per minute. You can get more done with less effort when you speak your commands. In addition to this, some devices have smaller keyboards which can make typing difficult for many people. Using your voice easily overcomes this obstacle.
What do you need to know about optimizing for Voice Search?
With trends predicting that Voice Search is the way forward for internet searching, you will want to get your website optimized for it, so as not to miss out on the upward trend. There has been extensive research done that provides important information for SEO and can help you to make your website Voice Search ready.
- Fast-loading websites have an edge: The typical loading speed of voice search results is much faster than most web pages. Your site’s loading speed is now more important to ranking then it has been in the past because people want to find the answers to their questions faster. People want to ask their questions faster and don’t want to wait for the results. If you want to rank in voice search, make sure your website loads as quickly as possible.
- HTTPS-Secures sites dominate: Having the HTTPS plays a more important role in ranking with voice search than it does in desktop or mobile searches. Voice search results use HTTP significantly more than other websites, so implementing this could improve your chances of appearing in the results.
- Short and concise results: Voice search results have been found to be brief and to the point. When optimizing to rank, you need to make sure your answer snippets are as short as possible. The average voice search result is only 29 words long, so aim for this quantity to get the best results.
- Highly shared content: Voice search results have been found to have a high number of shares on social media platforms. This means that publishing content that is valuable, popular and frequently shared will boost your ranking on voice search result pages.
- Easy to read content: The simple the language you use is, the better it fares in Google searches. The average reading level for voice search results in 9th grade because simple is easier to find. Content that is easier to understand and is written in more simple language will rank higher in voice search results.
- Long -form content: Studies found that the results from voice searches produced content that was predominately from pages with higher word counts. It is likely only due to chance in that more words means more opportunities for a ‘hit’ or match. In addition to this, FAQ pages have been found to improve ranking when voice searches are used.
- Higher ranking keywords: The higher your page ranks for a particular keyword, the more likely it will be selected by Google voice search. It is likely that Google does this as a way to provide users with already proven content.
- Featured snippets: Featured Snippets are ideal for voice searches. These are concise answers that are pulled for trustworthy sites. A substantial portion of voice search results come from Featured Snippets. While not required to improve your ranking, appearing in a Featured Snippet will certainly help your website in voice search rankings.
- No hiding: It is important not to hide important information in images. Make sure any relevant information is easy to find and available as plain HTML.
Voice Search is the future and while there are many unknowns about his new world, there is much we have already learned about it that can help optimize websites. Voice search will continue to get more intelligent, more accurate, and more popular, so you want to make sure your website doesn’t miss out. Follow the tips above and your website will be ready and optimized for voice searches and you can get the rankings you want.