In today’s technologically advanced world, mobile friendly websites are crucial for the success of a business. Consumers are doing more on mobile devices today than ever before, including shopping, looking up operating hours or directions, finding information about a product they are thinking about purchasing, and contacting the store.
According to the Pew Research Institute,
- 90% of Americans adults have a cellphone
- 42% of Americans adults have a tablet computer
- 58% of American adults have a smartphone
- 32% of American adults have an e-reader
- 70% of American adults use their mobile device to access the internet every day. According to Trinity Digital Marketing, more than 1.2 billion people worldwide access the web daily via a mobile device. These numbers are expected to continue to rise.
What does this mean for business owners? This simply means that potential customers are very likely to use a mobile device to learn more about your business and if your website isn’t mobile friendly you can expect at least 57% of these users to leave your website. Will they come back? No! These are all potential customers and sales that you have just lost.
Mobile Users Spend More
Would you be surprised to know that mobile users are more likely to make impulse purchases and spend more? As of 2011, laptop and desktop owners spent an average of $102 when making a purchasing, yet tablet users spent an average of $123 per purchase. By the way, 55% of consumers used their mobile device to shop online, while 45% turned to their laptops or desktops. If your website is not mobile device friendly and easy to navigate, you could very easily lose these sales to a competitor.
Consumers Return to Mobile Friendly Sites
In 2012, Google published the results of a recently completed survey. What did they find?
- 74% of mobile users report they are more likely to return to a mobile friendly website.
- 67% of mobile users report they are more likely to make a purchase from a mobile friendly site.
- 61% of mobile users will quickly move on to another site if they cannot find what they are looking for almost immediately on a mobile site.
What Do People Want in a Mobile Friendly Site?
- Mobile users are really quite easy to please. They want:
- Minimal pinching and scrolling
- Loading time of less than 5 seconds
- Convenient access to contact information
- The ability to “click to call” the business by phone
- A easy to use search bar
- A site that fits the small screen of their mobile device
If you are unsure if your website is mobile friendly, Google Mobile Guide is Google’s new mobile friendly website tester. Not only can you find out if your website is mobile friendly, you can use 3rd party software to make your site mobile friendly, make your site mobile friendly before diving into the details, or work with a developer to make your site mobile friendly.
There is simply no excuse anymore for not having a mobile friendly site.
If you need help updating your WordPress website, please CONTACT ME